Sunday, January 11, 2015

Whose words do you believe?




The words we speak carry so much weight, as well as the words that have been spoken to us.  Words have shaped us, but it is up to us whose words will shape us moving forward.  Once I was determined to figure out what my strengths were so I took this strengths inventory test.  As silly as it may sound, I was so excited to see my top strengths because I don’t have some obvious gift.  Early on in my Christian walk I approached the Lord about this and explained to him that he should give me an awesome singing voice, or some great gift.  He would always gently lead me to 1 Corinthians 13 and show me to pursue love.  I often wondered what I was strong at.  So upon taking this strengths test, I was really excited to see the results.   When I saw the results, I thought those attributes were just second nature to me but never really saw them as strengths.  Wow!  I had some strengths!   I was so excited about this I began to share with a few close people and I was told  by someone that they didn’t see it (referring to me having those strengths).  Now, I’m certain this person didn’t mean anything hurtful by it, but oh how the enemy jumped on those discouraging words and worked to replay them over and over in my head.  So much pain came from words spoken so quickly. 

This is just my small example of the weight of what we say.  How something so simple can hurt so much.  We’ve all said words that were hurtful and hopefully we have asked forgiveness for the hurt our words have caused.  Many people have struggled their entire lives to prove wrong what others have said about them. People don’t believe they have value because of what someone has said to them. Our words carry weight and the closer someone is to us, the more weight their words carry. But when someone's words are contrary to what God says about you, who do you believe?  God’s called us to believe his words over every other word spoken about us and he's given us the power to walk that out.  

To walk victorious in this area, we have to get to a place where we believe what God says about us over what anyone else has to say.  We are not victims of what others have said about us, unless we believe it.  The more negative words we hear from others, the more we need to mediate on God’s words so we can begin to believe His words instead.  We absolutely can choose to believe what God says about us over every negative word spoken over us.  The Bible is a refuge for us.  God loves us on his with his words.   His words are spirit and they are life.  Sometimes in life, peoples’ words have brought death and pain into our lives, but God’s words consistently bring life. 

Whose words do you hear replay in your head over and over?  If I replayed the hurtful words that have been spoken over me by people, I am certain I could live a life of defeat.  But, we can make a decision to do Joshua 1:8 “This book of the law shall not depart out of thy mouth; but thou shalt meditate therein day and night, that thou mayest observe to do according to all that is written therein: for then thou shalt make thy way prosperous, and then thou shalt have good success.

To have good success and be prosperous we must mediate day and night on God’s Word.  That means God’s word is what we are playing in our heads over and over.  If our mind is filled with God’s word, there’s no room or time for the enemy to replay the words of hurt and doubt in our minds. 

Here are just some of the things that will happen when we begin to keep our minds on God’s word:

We will have perfect peace: 

·      Isaiah 26: 3 Thou wilt keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on thee: because he trusteth in thee.

·      Phillipians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. 9Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

We will begin to know God’s will:

·      Romans 12:2  And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

We will begin to speak words of faith, life and truth to others:

·      Matthew 12:34 for out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaketh.

This is so powerful because if we have been around people who speak down to us, it can be easy to take on that same way of speaking to others.  Oftentimes, people who grew up with their parents speaking down to them, fear they will speak down to their own kids. But it’s all about what’s in our heart.  God’s word will transform our hearts and minds.When be begin to fill our hearts with God’s word, then that is what will come out.  

We will begin to speak blessings and life into others.  Now that’s wholeness!  When we go from believing the bad that people have said about us, to believing what God says about us and then we begin speaking those same promises into the lives of others—that’s wholeness!  That is what God wants for his children!  I challenge you to begin to soak up God’s Word like a sponge, let his Words consume you.  It will fill your heart, transform your mind, and come out of your mouth as a blessing to others! 

In truth & love,

Chrissy

No comments:

Post a Comment